Tuesday 27 May 2014

7. It's Time To Plant. How To Plant Raised Beds


 After a long cold winter, the soil has dried out and warmed up sufficiently to plant seeds. It will not be time to put plants into the garden for some time but seeds will be safe under the soil. Every zone has a different recommended  time for planting. In my area this is usual around the end of April or beginning of May. The time of planting can vary as some years have earlier springs and warmer temperatures than other years. So rather than going by a specific date, it is better to plant when your soil has dried out enough and warmed up enough.
I usually grab a handful of soil and squeeze it into a ball then I drop the ball on to the soil. If the ball breaks apart when it hits the dirt then I know that the dirt has sufficiently dried out and is ready to be turned. Cultivating soil that is still too wet will result in a lumpy hard soil. Slightly moist is what you want. The dirt will be cool but not freezing. So seeds, like carrots, will germinate well in cooler soils. Other seeds, like beans, like warmer soil temperatures.

Many Advantages For Raised Beds

  • Raised beds are easier to maintain than having a more traditional garden. 
  • The soil warms up faster
  • Weeds are easier to control
  • It is easier on your back when seeding or weeding 
  • Plants and seeds can be planted close together. So as to efficiently make use of smaller urban spaces
  •  The soil does not get compacted because it never gets walked on

raised garden beds
Raised beds can be made from many materials. There are many web site with good instructions if you want to DIY. Ready-made beds are also available. I am lucky enough to live with a DIY guy. My husband designed and built my raised beds. With my guidance, of course.
My garden beds are made from untreated, 2x10 inch pine boards. It is important not to use treated wood in your garden as the chemicals used to treat the wood will eventually leach into the soil and potentially contaminate the food that you
grow. So, although the wood will eventually decompose because of the contact with the soil, it is a natural material that will not contaminate my food. As the wood breaks down it is easily removed and replaced with another piece of wood. This decomposition will take many years depending on the level of moisture in your area.

Tips on Planting
  • Make a plan. Choose the plants you will grow this year.
  • Choose vegetables that your family loves. Don't plant ten zucchini plants if you know that no one is going to eat them.
  • Some vegetables are more labour intensive than others. For instance, peas and beans need to be picked daily when they are at the peak of their production whereas carrots are harvested as needed and then once in the fall. Choose veggies that you have time for.
  • Make notes of what you planted and where. Add notes throughout the summer about how your vegetable varieties performed. 
  • Keep your notes from year to year to refer back to when deciding which varieties to choose for the next growing season.
  • Start small. Don't plan a huge garden right away. You can always add on. 
  • Involve your children. Teach them how to do it. Let them see how wonderful a freshly picked tomato can taste. Tell them about how important it is to eat organic food. 





I use a garden fork to turn my dirt.




Then, using the backside of a rake, I smooth the soil and break up any large lumps.







This is the tool that I like to use to make shallow furrows for the seeds.






The distance between the furrows depends on the seeds that you are planting. The photo shows me planting carrots using my homemade seed tape. The furrows are about four to six inches apart. Large plants, like potatoes will need more space to grow.

I like rows. It appeals to my inner control freak. There are different methods to sow seeds like square foot gardening or the broadcast seeding method (demonstrated by Martha Stewart,thanks Martha)








Cover the seeds with a thin layer of soil. Pat the soil down and water generously.









Plant seeds like peas about two inches apart. With rows about 6 inches apart.

Follow the guidelines on the back of the seed package, but remember that you can generally plant things closer together when planting in raised beds.




Use your vertical space. I purchased these inexpensive bamboo poles from dollarama. I tied the tops together and stuck the ends into the soil. When it is warmer, I will plant cucumber plants around the poles. They will need a bit of help to climb, but they love it. My family LOVES cucumbers. I will plant 30 plants(or more) in this 3x9 foot space.

Don't forget to feed your plants. I add compost annually in the spring or fall. Watch your plants, if they are looking pale or not producing or blooming the way that they should, try some fertilizer. 20-20-20 is safe. Follow the directions on the package, it is possible to 'burn' your plants with fertilizer that is too strong.




I'm excited. Spring is here again. I can finally play in the dirt. I hope that some of my advice is helpful. Stay tuned to watch my garden grow.
Happy gardening!

MY APPLE TREE. ESPALIER PRUNING TECHNIQUE(TUTORIAL FOUND HERE )

No comments:

Post a Comment