Wednesday 19 March 2014

2. Seed Planting Day

Seed Planting Day


     In my part of the world, we have to start tomatoes and peppers inside and then transplant the plants after all danger of frost has passed. Peppers and tomatoes do not tolerate cold temperatures. Find out what the date of the last frost is in your area. 

    Some plants like it cooler, like kale and lettuce. These seeds can be sown directly into the garden once the soil has thawed. 

    Do your homework. Decide what you want to plant. Look at the information on the back of the seed packets. Each type of seed will have "days to maturity" listed somewhere on the back of the package. Ask someone who is experienced. What do they plant as transplants and what they plant as seeds and when.

    I like to buy a planting mixture that has a moisture retention polymer.
The small containers dry out quickly so extra moisture is a good thing.  You will also need a plant starter fertilizer.

Something that has a higher middle number. The numbers indicate how much nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium the fertilizer has in it. Young plants like lots of phosphorous. The type of fertilizer will change as the plants mature but for right now, this is what you want.


Seeds will grow in any container. I have repurposed some plastic containers from work that would have ended up in the landfill. Just make sure they are clean.








Lets get started. Fill your containers with soil. Press the soil into the container to remove any air pockets. Add water to your soil if it is not wet.


To plant tomatoes and peppers(vegetables with larger seeds), I use an old pencil to create a shallow hole in the centre of each pot. For very fine seeds like lettuce and basil, just sprinkle a small amour on the to of your soil and spread a small amount of soil over the top. Press the soil so that the seeds are covered and have come into contact with the soil.





I put two tomato seeds into each hole. When they grow I will thin them so that only one plant is growing in each pot. Plant more than you think that you will need as some of the plants will not survive to be healthy, vigorous specimens. Water your seeds.

repurposed container for watering can










Label your pots and document what and when you planted. I keep track from year to year. I jots notes down as to what grew well, what the weather was like and anything that I think would be pertinent to next year. Keep track of the varieties that you have tried and what you like or dislike about them.

Some seeds germinate in two days others in two weeks. Check your seeds often and make sure they don't dry out. Once my seeds have germinated, I will put my lights on a timer so that the lights will automatically turn on and off. I also like to have a fan blowing on the plants. This makes the plants sturdier and I think prevents moulds and funguses from developing on the surface of the soil.



Today I planted tomatoes, peppers, basil, lettuce, and cilantro. Lettuce and cilantro can be planted outside as seed but they grow really well inside and I will be able to snip the leaves to add to my salads long before it has warmed up outside. 

I hope this has inspired you to try your hand at planting. In a few weeks I will start some more. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment